Monday, October 3, 2011

Apple picking

We spent one Saturday morning in September picking apples and came home with 20kg of apples and pears. They were so good and it was such a wonderful day. I love fall!

Travis got the thump test down and we ended up with perfectly crisp apples! Kaelan just wanted to eat them as he picked.

Coco and I got a few but we were assigned to picture taking.

YUMMY!
What did we do with 20KG of apples. Well...we ate them raw because they were so good! I made 2 apple crisps for visitors, apple sauce, apple puree for Coco, and waldorf salad. ANd I'm not even sick of apples...I think Travis is though!

And we got pears too!
We were not familiar with this variety so we only got 10kg but they were as good as or better than Bosc pears.
We ate a lot of these raw, made some pear sauce, puree for Coco but the best was the curry butternut squash and pear soup! Travis is not a soup eater but he got another bowl of this for his late night snack and he even was glad to have it for leftovers the next night. It was so good that I already have 2 more butternut squash waiting for me to buy MORE pears! Recipe below if you are interested.

1 comment:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Oh wow... what a fun fall activity and you guys are wearing coats... so jealous... and can I come over for dinner please... yummy