Friday, February 22, 2008

Lion Dance

The Lion Dance is auspicious for the Chinese around Chinese New Year. Companies will pay the dance troupes to come to their business and do the traditional dance to bring the company luck, wealth and prosperity. This year and last year I would see the trucks driving around with the dance troupes and people would say how tired they were of seeing the dances everywhere they went. Well I never managed to see one until last week. I was in the mall and I could hear the clanking of the symbols and knew they had to be there somewhere. I ended up in one of my favorite craft stores to see the ceremony. Here is what they did. The Lion danced around the store for awhile before he ended up at the check out area. Here they had 8 (lucky number) oranges (oranges bring wealth) laid upon a red (lucky color) cloth. The Lion danced here for awhile before he pounced on them. His movements were so real and well practiced and his eyes would blink, he was so cute! A nice lady explained to me that he was peeling the oranges and that when he was done he would make a Chinese character to bring the store good fortune for the year. The character he left the store was luck, at least that is what I was told! I was so glad to finally see the tradition but after I left there to meet my girl friends for lunch the Lion dance came to the restaurant. I guess I was bound to see it this year!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kale Family News said...

Jessica,

Very interesting how these people are so superstitious. I have a Japanese friend who is always mentioning the fact that she is very unlucky. I'm praying for her to be enlightened. That's all they know. It's hard to imagine that dancing would bring in business and I never heard that number 8 was the lucky number either.
Love, Kathe