Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Shanghai City Tour


Travis has been working in Shanghai/Wuxi the last two weeks so I came to visit him over a long weekend. He was still in Wuxi the night I arrived so I stayed the night by myself as well as the next day. It was not at all hard to do since he arranged for us to stay the weekend in the Ritz Carlton! I never thought I would stay at a Ritz but he was able to get a company discount so we were able to stay for a reasonable price! It was great! On my day alone I decided to take a city tour through a tour company. Normally it is a group thing but on this day I was the only one who signed up. I had a personal tour guide and driver all day! It was amazing and my tour guide, Jean, went above and beyond what was expected of her! Here are the places she took me, all pictured above. We started off on the oldest street in Shanghai, top left picture. The next three are from Yu garden, a private garden that has now become a tourist attraction. The next two are from the French concession. This area is where the French people lived during the opium trade and is still a popular place for Westerners to live. Then Jean and I had a huge lunch, which is all just for the two of us! And the final tow pictures are from the Jade Buddha Temple where I had this man write Travis and my names in Chinese calligraphy. Jean convinced Travis and I to join her tour for that evening to a Chinese acrobatics show which turned out to be a highlight of the trip. It is amazing what they can do with their bodies! It turned out Jean was our tour guide the next day on our Water Villages tour. She was great and I would highly recommend her to anyone visiting Shanghai!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: