Thursday, December 4, 2008

Here he comes!

Well, I guess it's true that you're never truly ready for the big moment to arrive. Even though little "K" is now 7 days past due, I don't think either Jessica or I expected things to start so quickly. Perhaps it's Murphy's Law because of all the nights for things to start, last night was probably the worst possible time. I had a late night video conference that I needed to participate in for work so it took me away from the apartment last night. My conference started at 10:30pm and it wasn't until after 1:30am that I finally walked in our front door. I made my way to the bedroom and poked my head in to let Jessica know I was home, then slipped into the living room for a quick call with a colleague before hitting the sack. It was 2am before my head finally hit the pillow! Around 2:45am, I was awoken to the sounds of Jessica rustling around in the bathroom. Understandably, she is now up every night for a bathroom break so I didn't think much about it and tried to drift back to sleep. Just as I was about to resume counting sheep, I heard the shower turn on which snapped me back to reality. I thought to myself, "Why is Jessica showering at 2:45 in the morning?" I glanced over to her empty side of the bed to discover a giant wet spot on our sheets. In my sleep deprived state, I thought, "Did Jessica just wet the bed?" Slowly, reality began to seep back into my brain and I remembered, "Wait, Jessica's pregnant...did her water just break?" I sprung out of bed, rushed to the bathroom and asked Jessica the obvious question, "Did your water just break?" Jessica simply stared at me and asked, "Where were you?" Confused by this line of questioning, I replied, "What do you mean where was I? I was in bed next to you!" Well, it turns out Jessica kept calling my name but I was so dead to the world I didn't even hear her. She was so focused on what was taking place that she didn't even see me lying next to her and assumed I was still out on a phone call! Long story short, neither Jessica nor I have had much sleep but we're both hanging tough. The contractions are coming more regularly now, averaging about 8 minutes apart. I guess we have a long day and night ahead of us. I hope to share with all of you the exciting news soon! Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Steve said...

Travis,
A little bit of advise. In order to get out a lot of late night "baby activities" lower Jessica's expectations from the start. Don't be the first one to get up when you hear Baby K crying. If you make it a pain for Jess early on, she will learn not to depend on you and just get up herself. Then, for the next several years, you can sleep through the night like a baby. I myself was not smart enough to do this with my 4 kids and have been getting up for all kinds of issues for the last 12 years while Jamey "pretends" to sleep. She is way smarter that I am and I am just trying to help you out. By the way, following this advise could lead to other marrital issues but, I'm sure that will pass eventually. Good Luck!

Adam and Natalie said...

Oh yay! Can't wait to hear about his arrival!

Elliott John said...

we're excited for you! the fun is just beginning!